Andhra Medical College is attached with many Government Teaching Hospitals in Visakhapatnam. The students attend their classes in the departments of the teaching hospitals as per their education requirements.
These Teaching Hospitals are attached with the Andhra Medical College:
Main building of KGH.
King George Hospital (KGH) was inaugurated by Honorable Rajah of Panagal, Chief Minister of Madras on 19 July 1923. It had 192 beds and by 1931-32 increased to 270 beds. These included Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Maternity, Venerology and Infectious Diseases. There were also the Out Patient Department, X-ray Department, Kitchen, Operation Theatre and Lecture Hall. The Gynaecology and Maternity block with 40 beds was constructed in 1928. Construction works of the Ophthalmic Block with 80 beds was completed in 1932. The Out Patient (OP) block and Casualty was constructed in 1940. A Children’s ward with 36 beds was constructed nearby in 1943 and later merged with the Gynaec block. Administrative block and the twin operation theatres and special ward was constructed in 1951. The need for expansion of the hospital gave rise to construction of the Bhavanagar Ward, which was later inaugurated by Shri Krishna Kumar Sinhji of Bhavnagar, then governor of Madras in December 1949. The ‘Rajendra Prasad Ward’ was inaugurated by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, then President of India in August 1955 and the ‘Amrit Kaur Pediatric Block’ was inaugurated by Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, then Union Minister of Health in January 1956. The Cardiology Block with Intensive Cardiac Care Unit (ICCU) was inaugurated in June 1986 and subsequently, the first and second floors with the Open Heart Surgery Unit. The 24-hour Clinical laboratory block was renovated in 1992. The Nuclear Medicine block, the first-of-its-kind in the state government was opened on 8 October 1993. The ‘STD Out Patient block’ was inaugurated in November 2000. Presently work is going in constructing super specialty blocks in King George Hospital.
Government Victoria Hospital was originally a private hospital named after Queen Victoria. It was donated by the late Maharajah Sri G.N. Gajapathi Rao, KCIE in 1894. In 1949, the Government of Madras took over its administration. The hospital has three units with 147 beds and has recently been renovated with new blocks.
Government Hospital For Mental Care an exclusive hospital for mental care was constructed in 1871 to accommodate 94 patients. Later the capacity grew to about 300 patients.
Rani Chandramani Devi Hospital was started in 1965 as per the will of the late Rani of Chemudu, Chandramani Devi who was concerned and moved by the plight of handicapped children in the district. The department was initially operating under private management as a 30-bedded hospital. It was later taken over by the Government of Andhra Pradesh in 1967. The bed strength was increased to 70 in 1976. A well equipped Operation Theatre was opened in 1977.
Government Hospital for Chest and Communicable Diseases was started in 1961 at Seetammadhara about 3 km from the Andhra Medical College. The department of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases has 240 beds in 4 wards, the Respiratory Intensive Care Unit (RICU) and Emergency Ward, Mahatma Gandhi Ward for non-tuberculosis lung diseases. The Department of Communicable Diseases is situated opposite the TB Hospital. It has 48 beds in 4 wards. Now this Hospital has been shifted to a spacious place in Waltair opposite the Hospital for Mental Care
Regional Eye Hospital The 75-bedded Ophthalmology department was shifted from King George Hospital to its present site in Seethammadhara near the TB Hospital in 1981. The present new building was completed in 1988. The new ‘Regional Eye Hospital’ has been fully functional since 1990. The bed strength has been increased to 200 with two main Operation Theatres.
The ENT Hospital has been shifted to a new building in Waltair near the Hospital for Mental Care from King George Hospital.